Monday, September 19, 2011

Shu goes a Salsa-ing

This day has to be logged for future records.


In an attempt to bring a cheer to my otherwise dull life, I decided to take either an aerobics or a dance class. Actually, it was more to get a little physically active so I don't drop dead next month while 'hiking in the Himalayas'. Nowadays, climbing a small staircase at work makes me pant, gasp for breath and curse my lungs. I haven't been this determined to find something in the recent decades, but I spent many hours calling places, google-ing places, looking at advertisements, asking around, reading sites, etc. Until finally, I found the most cost-effective and convenient class, very close to my block.

There's a mad dancer inside me, trapped and waiting to break free from my social-phobia and physical inhibitions. I just hope it decides to come out before I die or become bed-ridden, in other words, not too late. Hip Hop classes, which I have been dying to take since forever were at a timeslot that I could not make. The only choice left was a Salsa class. I have never been a big fan of it, mostly because of the high heels and ass-hugging mini-dresses worn by female Salsa dancers. Just for a month, I thought, I'll take what I can.

This guy's a charm in the Lion King movie! Took me many years to know that "Hakuna matata" was a real phrase very often used in Kenya.

So today, I set out for the first class. Luckily, we were asked to wear track pants and socks (and not heels and minis)! There were just two other girls and the instructor, who looked old enough to be my little brother and who looked remotely related to Timon in Lion King (Oh that reminds me, there's gonna be a remake of Lion King in 3D soon. Woohoo! Think I know almost all the dialogues and scenes by heart!). We learnt the first three basic steps of Salsa, taking turns to partner with different people of both genders. It was very awkward; one's supposed to stare right in the face of the partner to gain confidence and avoid looking at one's feet. Comes to mind a game we used to play as kids. We'd stare at each other's faces and see who cracks with laughter first. Usually, I was first or second to burst out laughing, so needless to say, it was hard. The steps were simple enough, but rapid changing of the steps to music proved challenging.

There's talk of changing the timeslot of this class to one I can't participate next time. So even if this was a one-time experience, it was fun and mostly, it was a new experience that I gave a shot!

2 comments:

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...