Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Foodie

Invictus
- William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

And that was a poem also found in the inspiring and feel-good movie - Invictus, based on a part of Nelson Mandela's life.
~ ~ ~

Age is just a number. We all start the scale at zero, but who's to tell what the number at the other end of the scale is. So there's no point to rushing or trying to keep up with everyone else. I'd rather prefer to grow up and go about doing things at my own pace.

Today, I got my week-end 'nature fix' by hiking to Singapore's highest peak. It took only about 55 minutes to get to the summit at 165 meters above sea level walking all the way from my place, giving a good idea of how flat Singapore really is. When I landed here for the first time, eight years ago, three things really shocked me; the lack of mountains, toilets that flushed themselves and internet without cables. I didn't spot much animals except for a few monkey mothers carrying clingy youngsters on their bellies, a squirrel, some birds and a few insects. But walks in damp rainforests with the constant shrill sounds of cicadas in one's ears, are cool and calming.

Reaching the summit of Bukit Timah Hill after hiking through a nice damp rainforest trail


Just like how some couples bring out the best in each other, there are winning combinations of food. For example, cheese and tomatoes or chocolate and mint (there's nothing quite like these). Once long ago, I accidentally discovered during a shopping trip to accompany a friend, that green apple juice and celery juice mixed together were such a team (otherwise the thought of drinking "celery juice" alone is like drinking egg-plant juice or onion juice). The sourness of green apples perfectly complements salty celery. I was so inspired by this discovery that I started eating green apples with massive amounts of salt and I managed to get a convert in the process too.  After work, as I change buses at an interchange/ massive mall, I am drawn to try out new food though I have not been paid yet. The other day, I was overjoyed when I found out that the bubble tea shop sells green apple and celery juice with the chewy bubbles. I've also ventured a little into "sweet territory" (which is not usually my primary preference) and found out that cinnamon sugar coated warm pretzels are really nice too. I'm so going to a hell dedicated to gluttons.

Relations at work with aliens are improving, slowly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...